Gurdwara Sahib Butterworth
The temple that carries the Sikhs’ legacy in Seberang Prai
This Gurdwara, as a Sikh place of worship is called, serves 200-odd families around Butterworth and Bukit Mertajam towns. Most Sikhs are ethnic Punjabis. Among the colourful events observed here is the annual Punjabi harvest festival of Vaisakhi, which falls around May. It also marks the founding of the Sikh order of the Khalsa.
The Gurdwara has its origins in the 1920s, when the Straits Trading Company reserved a place of worship among the quarters of its Sikh workers, who were mostly watchmen, along Jalan Pantai. The community later bought a plot along Jalan New Ferry (then known as Chain Ferry Road) and built a single-storey brick temple there in 1934.
The current bigger building was constructed over it and opened in 1971. The Gurdwara committee is now building an even larger temple complex at Jalan Todak in Seberang Jaya for future generations.
Weekly prayers are observed on Sunday mornings followed by lunch-time serving of "Guru ka Langgar" (vegetarian food cooked in the temple) for worshippers and visitors of whatever faith, religion or background.
This is one of two Sikh temples in Seberang Prai, the other being Gurdwara Sahib Prai along Jalan Kikik in Taman Indrawasih. It is known for keeping a rare antique in the form of a copy of the Guru Granth Sahib, the Sikh holy book, printed in 1904 and brought to British Malaya by early migrants from Punjab, India.